Loving ridin', like a fat kid loves cake!
home
RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 58 - 2 / 11
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wharncliffe digging session - Course maintainance and riding  (Read 7063 times)
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Respect: +112/-14

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« on: 26 Mar 02, 16:22 »

I'll be heading up to Wharncliffe on Saturday or Sunday (perhpas both) for a session on the hardtail as well as some much needed course maintainence on the gnarly course.

For the record, most people call the gnarly one 'Steve Peats' course but it is in fact 'Chay, Jim and Johns' course!  We need a better name system for all the runs up there!

If you fancy some riding and digging, let me know and I'll decide when I am free.  I'll be in the woods with my spade and hardtail over the weekend.

keef321
Senior

Respect: +0/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 02, 16:51 »

Looked for U on Saturday @ about 2.00pm on the techy course but didnt see ya. Attempted the course my self but failed misserably at the beginning and 1/2 way at the rocky section but it was still fun (especially considering did it on my tod cos no one else would go on the course with me pussys! ). One day I will nail the course!

Anyway me & some newly made freinds have been building a course to the left of the techy & fast DH. Will be back there on monday building more weather permitting so if ya going give us a shout.

Keef

Keef
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 02, 19:45 »

I was there on Saturday all day, riding my Azonic hardtail like a loony down the techy course.

Also touched up the 'sludge jump' on the short course and made a nicer take-off to it.  I will try and get up there Monday so keep an eye out for an all black Azonic and a rider in a Stunts T Shirt (logo like the new forum logo above)

I'll be there as much as possible from now on!

Phil
Administrator
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 02, 23:00 »

Last weekend was such a success that it looks like we will be back again this week with a spade.
Aim is to did some pipes into the gnarly course to divert the stream before we get more erosion than current!  Also want to make a route through the rocks at the top that at least makes sense if not entierly rideable!!

All that will happen if you can drag me off the middle bit of the Diamond Back course for longer than 10 minutes  :look

PaulE
Elite

Respect: +26/-7

Referrals:

Crash Test Dummy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 02, 17:40 »

Phil,
I should be up there on Sunday..... tommorrow looks unlikely though (House things.....), I'll try to persuade Pete to come along too.

Paul
PaulE
Elite

Referrals:

Crash Test Dummy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 02, 17:42 »

Phil,
I should be up there on Sunday..... tommorrow looks unlikely though (House things.....), I'll try to persuade Pete to come along too.

Paul
Lewis
Senior

Respect: +2/-1

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 02, 12:56 »

If you stand at the bottom of the hill and look up, to the far left of the technical course, beyond the course with the off camber section there are two courses in the trees which haven't been ridden much recently. One is really steep and pretty much straight down, the other has lots of switch backs and tight corners; but neither has been ridden much so the ground is covered in leaves and pine needles, and at one point a fallen tree at head height. I was going to rake away the debris and build up some of the corners etc, just general maintenance. I'm also planning to build a complete new course which is harder than any thing else in Wharncliff at the moment, possibly a bit further along the hill, ie with a
succesion of 6-8 foot drops and a really long rocky section but at the moment I'm still looking into possible sites.

Lewis.
keef321
Senior

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 02, 14:56 »

Phil,

Nice 2 meet you @ last. The weather was spot on and so woz the attitude of all the riders on sunday! I see that you have found some concrete mud lookalike for repair to the sweet takeoff, nice.

Anyway hope that I`ll c yo all again there.

Keef

Keef
downhill-dan
Senior

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 02, 22:37 »

Hi Keef,

Check out the new post in the trails forum, Ive relayed your pointy Stick Experience.

Cheers
Dan (on the 222)

If you can't be fast, factory or give the crowds a laugh, take up knitting!
keef321
Senior

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 02, 13:25 »

Hi Dan,

Thanx 4 that I have made a posting in reply.

I may be going down to wharncliffe again on Sunday depending what time I get back from Air Wars (Courtesy of this website yipeee) etc etc.

Hope 2 c you again

Keef.

Keef
downhill-dan
Senior

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 02, 09:56 »

Wharncliffe today!!!! sunshine, Dry Course, be there at around 12 ish

Dan

If you can't be fast, factory or give the crowds a laugh, take up knitting!
badger
Elite

Respect: +1/-1

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 02, 11:58 »

ill b up soon! i think does anyone know where the nearest trainy is and how far r  the course away!

Orange 222
Orange Ms Isle
DDS Member
www.DelamereCycleskills.co.uk
PaulE
Elite

Referrals:

Crash Test Dummy

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 02, 12:24 »

Nearest station is Sheffield.  The course is about half an hour's ride from the station, and it's a fairly flat ride, except for the last hill up into the forest itself.

If you want directions, I can post them up, or put a link to a multimap type thing.

Paul
badger
Elite

Respect: +1/-1

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 02, 12:48 »

multi map thing wud b great!

Orange 222
Orange Ms Isle
DDS Member
www.DelamereCycleskills.co.uk
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 02, 13:19 »

It might be a 30 minute ride for 'Crazy Legs' Paul but it takes me about 15 minutes to drive there from our house - which is half way to the station!  A hell of a ride on a DH bike.

Best bet is to get a lift off someone and park in 'Station Lane, Oughtibridge, nr Wharncliffe'.

You can follow the multimap from here.

From there, go along Station lane and through the first locked gate into the old station yard.  Carry straight on and cross the railway track.  Up the hill for 20 yrds and follow fireroad left.  500 yards you will come to a fork - that's at the bottom of the Diamond Back track.

The other tracks are parallel to the DB track, further into the woods, running from top to bottom fire road.  There are 3-4 more, all longer and gnarlier.  Look out for some local for better directions once you are there...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register