home
RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 46 - 8 / 21
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Passportes du Soleil  (Read 5258 times)
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Respect: +112/-14

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« on: 1 May 08, 22:28 »

Looks like I'm going to do this:
http://www.passportesdusoleil.com/

75km of downhill in a day, 6500m of descending and only 200m of climbing.

Sounds amazing.  Anyone been, done it, know any more or have any advice?!

simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 08, 22:36 »

awww you luck bastardo.. I'd love to av a go at that..looks imense...
oldenuf2knwbttr
Master

Respect: +6/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 08, 08:59 »

Did it 3 years ago. Top fun.
You get to go on about three lifts you cannot get on at any other time. I would advise 6 inch travel bike and take it easy and enjoy it, altghough it is mostly downhill, lugging an 8" beast around all day is pretty tyring(I did it on a stinky) One of the problems is the frigging xc boys that race up behind you on the very few uphill sections and then get in the way on the downhill sections!
Dont need to take food with you cos theres plenty of feed stations, Chatel set up some north shore in the town centre when i did it and also a foam pit! I would take a few xc tubes with you and look at the weather although I noticed that if its hot there is always a thunder storm at 3-4ish in that section of the alps.
How you getting out there Phil? I was thinking of going out for it as well this year
ova da barz
Elite

Respect: +12/-5

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 2 May 08, 18:08 »

one of the best days riding i've ever done.

consider just knee pads, elbows and full facer, a full armour suit is too hot.... though you do end up on some of the DH courses at FULL speed. (i'd wear it, but there again I crash a lot!)

cant get there this year, though a long weekend to ride the new plenay tracks at the end of the season  is a low possibility...I've decided i'm defo going next year, probs to do the PDS. It's not a race, more an event... i dont think i even got timed last time.

(yes yes i know it's the blackpool of MTB in europe, but i like the place!)

i agree, think SX as opposed to Demo etc... etc...

you end up riding with the same 40 riders, xc boys beat you the climbs (some are a bit of a grind), you pass them on the downs, meet at lift etc...
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 2 May 08, 20:26 »

looking at the pics, the food at the feeding stations looks fantastic.. worth riding for that alone :-)
tracknicholas
Press!
Master

Respect: +4/-5

Referrals:

I'm a slave to gravity!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 08, 10:37 »

did it in 2004. was awesome. but then i would say that, as ill be riding with you this year. its not a race! its an adventure!
coldtea
Elite

Respect: +19/-4

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 08, 16:59 »

Done the route if not the event*.

Defo one for the 5.5 not the DH bike.   Lots of it is quite pedally.

How much armour you wear is a very personal decision.   You'll need to take a camelbak for water/spares anyway and that'll work as a pretty good spine protector.

*can't stand mass start events like this one - the congestion winds me up something rotten.

Its just about having fun on a bike
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 08, 22:06 »

very english of you col, these people need to learn to que !
Yetifan
Master

Respect: +2/-0

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: 8 May 08, 20:23 »

Done it 3 times, always starting at Morzine, its an ace event, lots of food, just make sure to fill your camelbak up at every opportunity, as laster on in the day the food stops tend to run out of water and the like. But you'll never be short of Apples and bananas!

You need to get an early start, if you do the Lesgets loop first, be aware you will hit a major traffic jam on the Morzine lift (the one opposite the Avalanche cup track side), I'd leave the Les Gets loop until last, although last year they had a BBQ near the lake in Lesgets and thats all free!

And when you hit the top of Chatel, there is a loop option, I would STAY AWAY ! it was so much uphill, and somehow no downhill, they might have taken this out for this year, nobody was impressed! Just turn left and follow the route down the DH track.

Overall, its a great event. Wish I was going this time, but somehow I ended up at the Mega.

Andrew

Yetifan.com - Evolution Imports - Utopia .
Higgo
Senior

Respect: +0/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 08, 07:42 »

I'll be out there for this.

If you see a fat old bifta riding badly on a BLur 4X with 55s, slap me wrong the back of the legs as you go past and tell me to speed the f*** up.
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 08, 09:26 »

*can't stand mass start events like this one - the congestion winds me up something rotten.

Col - think you got confused.  Your new lid is a zebra, not a (bah!) humbug ;)

coldtea
Elite

Respect: +19/-4

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 08, 13:17 »

Now I'm in vets its a BC requirement to be grumpy!   :D

Its just about having fun on a bike
10yearsafter
Junior

Respect: +0/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 08, 10:55 »

I did it last year & have entered again. Out there for 8 days in 4 weeks time.  I did it on my Hustler last year but will be on a Demo 7 this time round.  Probably not the ideal bike but I want to have it out there for the rest of the week so I guess I will just be doing a bit of pushing.

Agree with Yetifan about the Chatel loop; give that a miss.

Also second, third or whatever, the comments about Euro-mincer XC types getting in the way on the downs.  I had a stack last year because some Frenchie just came to a halt in front of me on some ST.

If you start at Les Gets at least you get one of the longest climbs out of the way first.

Overall, best day on a bike I have ever had.

I want more life father
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 10, 19:44 »

18 months later and I've finished the video!

Yup, from 2008, it's taken me that long to finally get time to figure out basic video editing and get a system that'll handle the original HD files.

I hope you enjoy the shonky camera work and cheesy editting galore. The original is much bigger that the embedded one below, you're probably better off right-clicking and 'view on youtube'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdpTNot4ndY
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 10, 13:58 by Phil » Logged

Rich
Expert

Respect: +6/-2

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 10, 13:39 »

riding looked ok, but trolley curling is where it's AT!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register