home
RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 9 - 16 / 45
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Good winter gloves?  (Read 6812 times)
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Respect: +112/-14

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« on: 10 Nov 08, 14:09 »

I'm looking for some decent winter gloves. The ones I use now have a thick palm which is rubbish for gripping bars.

They need to have a pretty thin palm for good bar grip but thickish backs to keep the wind chill at bay on the cold night rides.

Any tips?

simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 08, 16:00 »

NOT - sealskins then... they are great but have the thick Gel palms
Tommi HXH
Expert

Respect: +8/-2

Referrals:

How exactly did I manage THAT?

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 08, 16:08 »

Dakine cross X are pretty warm and not too bulky. Funny sizing though so measure up.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 08, 16:16 by Tommi HXH » Logged

... but of course at the time I was very drunk!
tracknicholas
Press!
Master

Respect: +4/-5

Referrals:

I'm a slave to gravity!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 08, 17:11 »

troy lee winter ones are good and warm, but a bit like poking your fingers into individual sleeping bags. not quite the thin palm requested...
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 08, 17:32 »

I can feel a prototype coming on.  Troy Lee XC gloves, some neoprene and a tube of glue.

Or heated bike grips like skidoos have.

Tommi HXH
Expert

Respect: +8/-2

Referrals:

How exactly did I manage THAT?

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 08, 19:04 »

There's always heated grip covers like you can get for motorbikes.

... but of course at the time I was very drunk!
woots
Senior

Respect: +0/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 08, 21:57 »

I've got some specialized deflect ones I bought in a panic buy at a welsh trail centre last year.  They are nearly there as have a neoprene back and thin palms but for some reason have this weird pad at the bottom of your palm.  If I was good enough with a needle I'd rip it out and they'd be spot on.  They are noticably warmer than troy lee xcs, not good enough for full on artic conditions but fine for a cool day.  Oh and I accidently bought the girls ones because I liked the swirly pattern and didn't read the packet.  Nobody took the mick at all...

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=31707

or

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=31708

if you like swirly patterns!  This one shows the annoying pad best.

Motorbike style heated grips might drain the light batteries a bit, Oxford do some retrofit ones for about 40.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 08, 21:59 by woots » Logged
woots
Senior

Respect: +0/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 08, 22:05 »

http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/generalProducts.php?ProdTypeID=388

Here you go, hotgrips.  They came on a second hand motorbike I bought, I thought they looked daft on a sportsbike and was going to take them off until I got caught out on a cold day in summer gloves and they were amazing.  Having commuted to work accross a whole winter after crashing a car I became a bit of an expert in cold hands, the best thing is cutting the wind chill.  So maybe you could start a trend with mx style hand protectors?  Will be handy with the wide bar fad...

Also i found some decent thermal glove liners work well but are a bit bulky with mtb gloves unless you've got some old ones you are prepared to stretch.
The Trig
Elite

Respect: +36/-21

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 08, 23:14 »

I've been searching for warm winter XC/road gloves for years and the bad news is that so far, I still haven't found the magic-cure gloves.

Neoprene gloves are good, but for proper subzero temps try a pair of latex gloves on underneath.

For commuting purposes I'm considering trying motorbike knuckle guards that clamp onto the bars.  They're only plastic so surely they can't weigh that much?
Hmmm....
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 08, 23:15 by The Trig » Logged
PaulE
Elite

Respect: +26/-7

Referrals:

Crash Test Dummy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 08, 23:24 »

Silk glove liners under old (stretched) riding gloves is very warm, so long as it's not super wet.  On really cold, big rides, I've worn cheap "ski" gloves over a set of DH gloves, and taken the big ones off for interesting DH bits.... Not sure how well it would work for folks on geared bikes though.

Pretty sure my dad's got a set of neoprene back, thin palmed roadie gloves for the winter - I can ask him where he got them Phil.... I think they are purple too!
tracknicholas
Press!
Master

Referrals:

I'm a slave to gravity!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 08, 10:05 »

trig's got it. get some nice surgical grade latex jobbies (perhaps in a feint purple with asome nice powder) stick them on underneath. waterproof, and wind proof. toasty.
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 08, 10:26 »

And sweaty?!

The Trig
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 08, 16:01 »

The sweat feature isn't that bad as long as you reserve the latex glove combo for proper freezing cold conditions.

Any other time and yeah, the sweat is too much - i.e. if your hands are warm enough to generate sweat then obviously you don't need the Latex gloves
tracknicholas
Press!
Master

Referrals:

I'm a slave to gravity!

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 08, 17:19 »

seconded. phil you cant be worried about being too cold AND being sweaty.

you going through the change?

-seriously tho because they are so tight i find they dont slip if you sweat a bit, they just feel a bit wrong when you take them off....
The Trig
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 08, 12:29 »

err a wee update on the latex + nromal gloves thing...

I did a night ride last night that was in -2 degrees and I wore latex gloves on the outside of a normal set of full-finger XC gloves.

Mint.  Honestly the warmest hands I've ever had in a cold ride and cos they're on the outside my hands weren't sweaty at all.
A downer is that you can't blow your nose on your gloves or wipe your brow, but its a small price to pay.
I'd also say that I rode for only about just over 2 hours and when I took them off, they were just starting to get sweaty.

I nick boxes of 50 from work, but I think they're pretty cheap to buy.

I think I'm actually gonna send this idea into MBUK to see if I get a free helmet/rucksack. 
Its the one
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 08, 12:32 by The Trig » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Get a free giffgaff Sim