Loving ridin', like a fat kid loves cake!
home
RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 43 - 1 / 15
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Snowdon  (Read 10037 times)
fragy
Junior

Respect: +3/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 09, 19:37 »

dont knock the lycra Fish! you will wish you had of worn some on them legs.
The Trig
Elite

Respect: +36/-21

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 09, 21:26 »

Anything thats about looking as uncool as possible is always a good thing in my book.
I don't even bother with baggy shorts these days.  I just wear the same kit for road and mtb.
Lycra rules, I don't give a shit
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 09, 00:01 by The Trig » Logged
tracknicholas
Press!
Master

Respect: +4/-5

Referrals:

I'm a slave to gravity!

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 09, 13:28 »

mmmm i'll let ya know on tuesday  ;) in my defence i nealy bought some lycra tights but thought it was just a step to far  ;)

as last words go... these would be pretty comedy.... nowt wrong with lycra tights! looking bizarre is half the fun.
i have a real fetching roady lycra jacket thing at the mo. its santini, and in neon green on black. look a bit like something out of tron. who cares if its warm tho eh?
Mr Irie Fish
Expert

Respect: +6/-5

Referrals:

team trespass watch out shady veteran d/h ers

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 09, 10:43 »

Don't be a nonse!
Its just frickin hill.

I've coughed up more dangerous things than Snowdon.

All the people who die there do so for a pretty obvious reason eg they're old/fat/from London/went in a t-shirt/went climbing using string and paper-clips

not so fast there Mr Trig, we gave it our best shot  ;) as the conditions (in Llanberis ;)) were fairly mild and sunny, off we went with the summit in mind, however we met a couple of well equipped mountain types who said the path was no go further up, anyway we thought we'd go as far as poss, got to the three quarter bridge and the conditions really changed, the path was reduced to about a foot wide due to massive snow drifts and with cliffs on your left, to say i was nervous would be an under statment, onward till the path starts to bare right and flatten out a bit, we reckon about 900 metres and the spot where the two brothers slipped to their deaths last week :( and i can see why!!!! the path just disapears under a big snow drift for as far as you can see which has frozen solid, you just couldn't walk on it and keep upright, whilst not wanting to appear a nonse i didn't want to die proving it  ;) .......if only i taken the lycra tights we might have been able to use them to rope together  ;D
the descent was mint i really loved all the rocky steps and stuff only it was over all too soon  ;) it was a great trip and the push up wasn't too bad and will definatly go back to do the summit

more pics at http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/mrfish10/mountain%20bikes/?start=0

bloody computers couldn't login as Mr Fish anymore, dunno why....timings slipped or summat.

http://www.trailblazerz.net
The Trig
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 09, 12:04 »

That looks cool.
Good work.

There's pretty much always someone saying "don't even bother mate" that you'll pass on the way up in February. 
There's often been a helicopter rescue mission to watch too as some hi-scholl girl in t-shirt suddenly feels a "touch chilly".

Looks like its cramp-ons and ski's at the ready.  Well, I've got british grit in my teeth instead.  That should do.  And who knows - it may have all melted by this weekend? (snigger)
Mr Irie Fish
Expert

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 09, 12:25 »

just up from the three quarter we watched four people trying to get across and even from that distance we could see it was well dodgy  ;D they all turned back, also we watched a party of four who must have walked up a different way trying to get down to the path, from where we stood it didn't look that hard but they spent some time to and fro and gave up, the pics really don't show how...er literally lethal it looks  ;) good luck  ;D

bloody computers couldn't login as Mr Fish anymore, dunno why....timings slipped or summat.

mccett
Expert

Respect: +11/-1

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 09, 18:22 »

Give it a whirl but be prepared to turn back if its dangerous. You can be as brave and macho as you like but in January 8 mountain rescue guys were injured being blown off the Pyg Track by winds measured at 110mph trying to rescuse someone. Just because we've all been to the Alps in Summer and its no way near as high as the montains you find out there, it will still F you up if you dont treat it with some amount of caution.

Last time i rode it was Christmas Day 2007 and it was clear skies and T shirts on the way up. Once you got past the single track of the Ranger Path the cloud and snow was down and with very little visibility, even though we were only another few minutes from the top we turned round and enjoyed the descent. Its been there millions of years, it'll be there another day.

Take spare kit and a bigger back pack than usual to put it in - stuff you will be peeling off on the way up you might need on the way down. Winter gloves, leggings, a Buff and goggles and a coat you can carry up that you can put on if youre hanging about for a bit are all good recommendations. I dont use body armour but i guess if you're prepared it wouldnt be too bad an idea.

Good route is to head up Llanberis path, down the Ranger path and then turn right along telegraph valley before the zigzag part of the Ranger path back to llanberis. This is all marked Bridleway on any OS map. Techiest bridleway i've ever ridden though!

Have fun. Post up some pics.

www.badassbikes.co.uk  www.middle-age-shred.com

Dirt-jumping : For kids who can't ride fast.
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: 19 Feb 09, 18:37 »

looks cracking Fish, good call turning back.  I know that bit you mean at the tunnel, with the massive cliff to the right as you descend.  We came down there in fog and didnt realise until second time up just how close to that MASSIVE drop we were... and its very very loose this year, and off camber... woo !

That bridge is a real transition point, I've always found the weather changes rapidley after there.
The Trig
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: 20 Feb 09, 12:22 »

Don't worry, this isn't my first time up there in February - i.e. when the weather is about the worst.  Its been a club tradition for the past 12 years to go up in February.  Often been a blizzard, but never failed to get to the summit.

Obviously it can be dangerous to think that you're invincible, luckily I KNOW I am.

Tomorrow's weather looks disappointingly mild anyway
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 09, 12:27 by The Trig » Logged
The Trig
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 09, 22:58 »

Shockingly I (and the 37 other club riders) didn't die.

Disappointed of Hollingworth.

It did totally rule though.
There was a nice 70mph side wind on the top ridge and through a lot of the snow.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 09, 23:43 by The Trig » Logged
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Respect: +112/-14

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 09, 09:15 »

Trig, you might be disappointed but I'd rather hear about your exploits on here than the BBC.

Knowing one person who cheats death and pops up in the news in more than enough!

Anyone fancy Snowdon on Sunday 12th April?!

Mr Irie Fish
Expert

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 09, 09:44 »

well done "Trigmund Hilary" clearly we should have had your expert guiding skills  ;D

steveh
Parkwood Rider
Expert

Respect: +15/-23

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 09, 10:43 »

If you leave it to April Phil isn't the voluntary ban in force by then? No bikes 9-5 from memory. It's only voluntary and you can ignore it but it does riding in the area no good when people ignore it and it tends to be busy in those hours anyway.
The Trig
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 09, 21:21 »

These numpties were there the same day as us

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7904379.stm

All the people who die there do so for a pretty obvious reason eg they..... went climbing using string and paper-clips
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 09, 21:23 by The Trig » Logged
steveh
Parkwood Rider
Expert

Respect: +15/-23

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 09, 10:09 »

Actuall thinking about it Phil if the ban is in place or not, easter weekend won't be the time for getting any kind of decent riding in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register