home
RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 86 - 21 / 23
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Snowdon  (Read 9754 times)
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Respect: +112/-14

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 09, 10:22 »

Cheers for the advice Steve but it was a bit of a joke about the area/date that I thought Trig would pick up on.  I'll be over that way but not for riding.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 09, 10:26 by Phil » Logged

The Trig
Elite

Respect: +36/-21

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 09, 10:52 »

Riding through (ahem, over) all the walkers is a massive ball ache, even in winter months.
Whatever time you reach the summit, you're best waiting till 30 minutes before sunset as most of them will have had the sense to walk down by then.
Even then there'll still be quite a few and you get LOADS of snyde comments from them.

To be honest I'm 50/50 as to weather they have a point.  For walkers it can be pretty terrifying.  Some are quite old, slow and struggle with the many large steps - then to have to dive for cover as Mr Alpine Warrior smashes past at 30 mph, with little notice, on a bike can literally be heart-attack inducing.  Most have never seen what modern bikes can actually do and are pretty shocked.
Some freeze like rabits in headlights, some dive, some moan and some f*ckers just stand there belligerently until they realise this nutter really couldn't stop even if he wanted to - and then dive for cover.

Heh, there was a woman in Spain this year that made the sign of the cross (you know, catholics) and closed her eyes as we passed down a super fast and mega rocky trail ;D  That made my day

To be honest I'd forgotten just how steep and rocky some bits of Snowdon are.  At full tilt (is there any other speed?) you can barely change direction, never mind stop and dodge people.

I guess some things in life are just rude, but it doesn't always mean you don't do them
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 09, 11:00 by The Trig » Logged
Mr Irie Fish
Expert

Respect: +6/-5

Referrals:

team trespass watch out shady veteran d/h ers

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: 24 Feb 09, 11:01 »

we went up on a monday morning, got over taken by only 6 people and only met about 10 on the way down with only 1 making some sort of negative comment, however i was going way too fast to hear it properly  ;)

bloody computers couldn't login as Mr Fish anymore, dunno why....timings slipped or summat.

http://www.trailblazerz.net
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 09, 11:06 »

We had one women go totally mental at us, she was swearing at the top of her voice, shouting that we tried to kill her, she then stepped in the way of each of the following riders..  No one was close to her, I think the first rider may have startled her - like Trig says.. Honestly though - the level of abuse was simply obscene - she certainly painted walkers in a bad light ;-)
oldenuf2knwbttr
Master

Respect: +6/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 09, 12:20 »

best do it really early in summer in my experience, get to come down before the walkers set out. You do have to set off at around 4ish though
Rich
Expert

Respect: +6/-2

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: 27 Feb 09, 12:04 »

We tried a heroic ascent last Easter up the track from LLanberis. We set off at 6am and madly bumped intoa  couple of walkers comign down.

Unfortunately we had to turn back at the Clogwyn station as it was gusting 90mph. My mate got blown down the hillside whislt walking up after just telling us all to "Man Up". i got pinned by the wind against a barbed-wire fence, and our bikes where getting blown away when they were laying on the ground.

It was a pretty cool mountain experience, and the gusts made it interesting riding back down. we'll be back!

Mr Irie Fish
Expert

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 10, 07:57 »

i think i've managed to loose the "nonse" title now, up and down the ranger path last sunday, tis a lot more gnarly than the Lanberis path and hardly any walking types  ;D

bloody computers couldn't login as Mr Fish anymore, dunno why....timings slipped or summat.

simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 10, 14:02 »

whens the daytime ban end ?
Mr Irie Fish
Expert

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: 23 Apr 10, 19:16 »

i think its 1st may till oct 1st   9 til 5 could be wrong tho  ;)

doofer
Junior

Respect: +0/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: 27 Apr 10, 12:49 »

Bike ban is:

10.00 am and 5 pm from 1st May to 30th September

http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/snowdn_volunt.htm

Did the Ranger path in Easter Hols mid week not too many walkers on the Rangers path great down hill.  Messed about to long at summit admiring the views pinkies got cold had to stop on way down till the pain had eased.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register