home
RSS home|shop|galleries|calendar|racing|community|riding|workshop|scene

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 21 - 5 / 49
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Downhill' Track at Stanage Plantation  (Read 3792 times)
oldenuf2knwbttr
Master

Respect: +6/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« on: 17 Mar 09, 10:29 »

Ive had word through a source that the peak rangers believe someone has been trying to build a downhill course through the plantation area beneath stanage. This is one of the most heavily used areas in the peak and subject to a LOT of scrutiny and control. If its mtb using it as an alternative descent then dont, if your building it then friggin stop cos it will cause soooo many problems. there are plenty of other shitty woods that are less sensitive than this!
ova da barz
Elite

Respect: +12/-5

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 09, 08:29 »

The plantation is one the most used areas of the most used national park in the UK.
The climbing and bouldering there is world class and hugely important.

The woods there are however utter shite for MTB and there's no way that the rangers / other user groups will tolerate DH tracks on that hill. You'll be wasting yr time building, it would last a day.. max. The rangers have a near permamant presence there and no one else on the hill wants mtb there AND its sooo easy to be seen!!

I'd stick to win hill, narnia etc for DH kicks in the peak ;-)
kunoichi
Senior

Respect: +3/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 09, 14:06 »

Not Narnia...it's closed now  :(
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 09, 15:22 »

Stanage is a real no no, although,  I kinda like the idea that there is a bit of pressure all over the Peak now... keep up the pressure and at some point they may give way to a track in the Peak... after all Wharncliffe wasnt sanctioned originally, but constant building there, and a bit of negotiation, has led to an accpetance of the tracks there by the land owner.
Sometimes direct action (the great tresspass for instance) is the only way to move big mountains :-)

Whats the hill like further down the snake ? the one before snake pass in that is FE land ?
PaulE
Elite

Respect: +26/-7

Referrals:

Crash Test Dummy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 09, 21:07 »

Is that the hill which backs onto the heatherdean carpark?
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 09, 23:02 »

I was thinking of the one near Hagg farm,
http://www.multimap.com/s/cYQf3bYv
The Trig
Elite

Respect: +36/-21

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 09, 11:18 »

I was thinking of the one near Hagg farm,
http://www.multimap.com/s/cYQf3bYv

Are we "allowed" to ride this one?
Or is this the one you're warning us off?
Cos if its the latter, then surely putting a multimap link is err, not the best idea?

To be honest, the bridleway next to it is easily as gnarly anyway (if not more so), so I'm not bothered either way
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 09, 12:25 »

I aint no offical trig,
sheffgee
Junior

Respect: +1/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 09, 12:26 »

apparently the 'track' at plantation is just a jump off a rock into a transition...not really worth even going if it was legit....

there isn't anything official on hagg side near hagg farm just the previously mentioned bridleway...
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 09, 12:31 »

i didnt know there was anything up there....was just speculating...
The Trig
Elite

Respect: +36/-21

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 09, 14:09 »

err, there isn't :-X (snigger)
Higgo
Senior

Respect: +0/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 09, 12:59 »

On the map there are two BWs down from Stanage Plantation. One of them as far as I know doesn't exist on the ground. It goes through SK 239841. Any opportunity to open up this (legal) BW? I guess whoever re-established it would have a degree of control over how interesting it is to ride.

Map here: http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=stanage&countryCode=GB#map=53.35262,-1.6428|16|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.35327:-1.6424:14|SK239841|SK239841
Jeff R King
Senior

Respect: +1/-3

Referrals:

Just sharing the ride

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 09, 17:19 »

On the map there are two BWs down from Stanage Plantation. One of them as far as I know doesn't exist on the ground. It goes through SK 239841. Any opportunity to open up this (legal) BW? I guess whoever re-established it would have a degree of control over how interesting it is to ride.
Yeah I know what you mean about that bridleway, on the end of it across the grass exists on the ground. The rangers are very quick to point out how the bottom section to the car park is a footpath and we shouldn't ride it (even tho it's a more sustanable surface than the grass BW routes to road). But we're missing a bridleway, there's few enough as it is!

In term of claiming it or riding it the section down the side of the forest wouldn't have much potential it's about 1m wide between a fence and a stone wall and straight with some pine trees to go round. The section below the plantation across the bracken might have some potential tho. A second bridleway route or footpath might ease congestion and user group conflict on what is quite a busy route.

burly codger
Elite

Respect: +7/-1

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 09, 17:58 »

Why not just ride somewhere else - riding at the Plantation will just create a load of conflict.
Jeff R King
Senior

Respect: +1/-3

Referrals:

Just sharing the ride

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 09, 21:10 »

Why not just ride somewhere else - riding at the Plantation will just create a load of conflict.
Yeah, I've only ridden there one in the last year. It's an alright track, makes for some variation in riding, shame it doesn't link up with more tracks (if you don't come from the Sheffield side).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register