home
RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 25 - 23 / 23
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT - Walk tracks first!  (Read 4519 times)
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Respect: +112/-14

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« on: 9 May 09, 10:41 »

Our contact from the Forestry has been made aware of a potential threat made towards bike riders in the woods.  Hopefully it's an unfounded threat. However, it's also an extremely serious one so I'm letting everyone know. Please spread the word (but don't panic!)

The threat involves the mention of 'wires', presumably between trees and across the downhill trails.

I'd advise walking tracks from the bottom to the top before riding them, especially if you don't know they've been ridden before that day.

Please take care, keep your eyes peeled and report anything suspicious directly to the police as well as letting us know on here.

The threat also involved 'confiscation' of bikes.  We have permission to ride in the woods and no one has the right to take your bike from you if you are riding there.  Needless to say, if anyone attempts this, do not surrender your bike!  As if you would...  ::)

Sorry to sound alarmist, just passing on the message. Stay safe and have fun!

ova da barz
Elite

Respect: +12/-5

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 09, 17:47 »

Phil,

could you use your contacts to sticky this on southerndownhill & descent world??

We get a fairr few visitors from afar in the woods these days, and the more that know the better.
Cheers.

antigee
Junior

Respect: +1/-0

Referrals:

old trail rider and runner

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 09, 00:21 »

last weekend some rocks and branches had been placed across the singletrack adjacent to the wall at the top of the crag - i've ridden this trail since early 90's and first time i've come across stuff put deliberately on any path
(though an old guy with a dog up near Grenoside threw rocks at me once!)

it was pathetic and as i pootled along could ride around it  but was a little surprised - so as the original post says might be worth taking care and checking

to be worn out is to be renewed
ashdamash
Junior

Respect: +3/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 09, 18:52 »

On the 20th I went up as usual and I was riding Nemba and just as you start and you come to the first cross over well on the sharp right hander there was a big rock just placed in the middle of the corner which was close to bucking me off, also tha same berm where it had seemed to had just been reinforced and the builders looked to have done a pretty damn good job well it had been trashed and is still trashed now.

although this weekend we didn't find anything although it is annoying having to walk up the tracks. If I see a guy doing anything suspicous well my helmet won't be protecting the guy lol :P

thanks for the warning and i shall do as you request and spread the word.

ashdamash.

Ride Fast!!...Sleep Slow!!... :P
craigevans
WRC member
Master

Respect: +10/-2

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 09, 10:17 »

thats pretty annoying, that reinforcement took quite along time to build
Memphis Raines
Senior

Respect: +0/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 09, 15:08 »

anyone seen anything on the tracks yet?  Heading down for the first time in ages, is it better to park on the roadside in Oughtibridge than the top car park?
Joe747
Senior

Respect: +0/-1

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 09, 11:59 »

I was up yesterday on the fast track, jump track and old diamond back and didnt see anything to note. Also you can no longer access the woods from station lane because it has been properly fenced off. I would park there though and cross the bridge. Reports i have heard of parking up at the top have put me off, and having to get back up there after having a big ride!
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 09, 22:03 »

bugger, they finally fenced that off so you have to fend off getting run over on that bridge...
Memphis Raines
Senior

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 09, 22:10 »

was up there today, rode fast track, nemba, peatys, NoHuman and about 2  others, didnt see any problems with them other than natural stuff like loose rocks and some bits getting a bit overgrown...

there was some sort of party going on in the top car park this morning lol... not sure what that was all about, but we moved down to the station lane instead later on, plenty of other riders down there.

jon2
Master

Respect: +8/-11

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 09, 07:50 »

I haven't seen it yet but unless that fence is built like the Berlin wall it'll have been cut down within the week, someone really hates it even more than us.
sayntmatt
Expert

Respect: +28/-44

Referrals:

I'm a fat slave to gravity!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 09, 09:44 »

Yeah I think its the locals that walk there dogs in the woods that actually do that to the fence, not us? Its a life and death gamble sometimes trying to cross that bridge!!

Everyones favourite Ho!
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 09, 09:46 »

The local dog walkers were more anti-fence than anyone else. They had a petition against a fence being built there. Its only the people who live in the four houses close to the entrance who couldnt stand people er...walking past there house..
sayntmatt
Expert

Respect: +28/-44

Referrals:

I'm a fat slave to gravity!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 09, 11:23 »

Ha ha yeah I feel so sorry for them!

Everyones favourite Ho!
josh lewis
Junior

Referrals:

get wicked!

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 09, 22:47 »

anyone still ride greno, a mate of mine was ridin through there the other day and he said there was a peice of yellow string tied to 2 tries across the trail at neck height, he obviously cut it down, the only reason he saw it was because it was yellow. i cannot belive this sort of crap is happening, some one is intentionally trying to hurt other people and one day it will work... if they get found haha
ashdamash
Junior

Respect: +3/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 09, 21:31 »

That's real bad! Hope this isn't going to migrate to the wharncliffe end, be crap if someone gets hurt though.

Ride Fast!!...Sleep Slow!!... :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Get a free giffgaff Sim