home
RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 16 - 28 / 28
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Police at station road "entrance"  (Read 1911 times)
jon2
Master

Respect: +8/-11

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« on: 4 Nov 09, 20:38 »

I know it's a cliche to say "haven't you got more important things to be doing" to members of the constabulary but I had to really bite my tongue this evening. After scrambling round the defences at the end of station road (3-4 layers of metal fence, razor wire, felled trees, steep bank) with my bike and crossing the railway, I came face to face with a policeman who'd been waiting patiently in the dark.

Anyway last time I looked, trespass was a civli offence but the bobby gave me a bit of a lecture and let me on my way, it was all just a bit weird and a severe waste of police resources but maybe they were out to get the guy who keeps cutting the locks.

Oh and if anyone's wondering why I went to such lengths to battle through the obstacles rather than going up the road, it's partly the principle, but mostly because I underestimated just how much metalwork's been put up :-\
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 09, 01:11 »

Crikey... I guess I underestimated just how many friends in high places the complaining resident/owner of that land has... astounding who you can meet at a Golf club isn't it..

Pretty amazing what lengths has gone to trying to stop a few people passing his house...

I'll try and find out from the TPT people how the plans are going with for the bridge access over the river into Wharncliffe, Last I had heard - 6 months back - was that the council knocked it back due to funding.....maybe they overspent on needless Policing ?
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 09, 01:12 by simonm » Logged
antigee
Junior

Respect: +1/-0

Referrals:

old trail rider and runner

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 09, 01:12 »

very surprised police involved or maybe not  - pickd up on this as am interested in forwarding the issue of extending the sheffield / trans pennine trail link beyond oughtibridge - live in wharncliffe side and not happy that the safest link into the woods has been removed = lots of legal / history arguments - their is a sustrans proposal for a link along forge lane - below the park around footie pitch and a new bridge to cross the river and meet up with tpt - any how i'm tryingto get sn update on this as hillsborough oughti link is near finished and there was a recent article in teleegrsaph about the razor wire

edjhome@aol.com

to be worn out is to be renewed
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 09, 01:14 »

thats the one antigee, intresting to see if its progressing.
antigee
Junior

Respect: +1/-0

Referrals:

old trail rider and runner

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 09, 01:27 »

hi simon and others will follow up - never been a dog lover ! biggest user of the crossing but the issue is as hot as can get - my possibly negative belief is that station lane will never reopen - its a railway crossing only 3 trains at 25mph per day now but in the future|?? that is how it is looked at also the public access terminates before the apartments - i've read the planning docs and the council gave up access rights to the old station site in return for the developer maintaining the supporting walls - considered a liabillity leaving us all to try to live with the bridge - very difficult to challenge this - better to press for the funding for the link thru forgr lane - the finishing of the link from hilsborough plus the upset dogwalkers should help

to be worn out is to be renewed
sayntmatt
Expert

Respect: +28/-44

Referrals:

I'm a fat slave to gravity!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 09, 10:45 »

Wow are they really contemplating putting a new bridge over the river in/near the sports ground? That banking from the river up to the railway and beyond to the main track in Wharncliffe woods is very steep so I would be interested to see how/where they will do it? Sounds like a good idea though if its possible (could turn out to be a good dual track  ;)).

Re. the Police, they have had one of their 4x4's in the wood for the last 2 weekends suposedly to discourage motorbikers. We spoke to him last weekend (well he actually stopped us to quiz us about our bikes) and he said that he wouldn't stand a chance at catching any MX'ers but he was just acting as a deterrant. Cushy job if you ask me and it isn't working. I'm sure he should have more important things to be doing!!
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 09, 10:50 by sayntmatt » Logged

Everyones favourite Ho!
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 09, 12:25 »

I've got the plans somewhere Matt, will try to find them and post up the route. I think its more towards Wharncliffe side though where they were going to enter the woods. The big problem for the TPT is the climb up the main road (across stooopid bridge) then into the factory entrance.  I think there intention was to open the TPT up more as a safe commuter route to Stocksbridge by doing this.  All sounded good but as I said, it was about a year back and I've not heard anything from them since then.

ta
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Get a free giffgaff Sim