RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 43 - 8 / 15
:: Search the site ...
TF Tuned
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Neck Braces... Discuss  (Read 4100 times)
ajp
Master

Respect: +10/-4

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« on: 12 Dec 09, 19:16 »

It started on SDH.  I want to know what peeps think.  Objective opionions preferred.  For the record I think alot of people don't look at the requirement for one objectively.  I have bowed out of this discussion on sdh because its clearly emotive to some people.  There is no way that anyone who feels that they 'need' one is going to take onboard any argument to the contrary.  Its quite boring but also quite interesting.
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 09, 22:32 »

Are there any records for the kind of injuries that they prevent ?
tracknicholas
Press!
Master

Respect: +4/-5

Referrals:

I'm a slave to gravity!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 09, 17:34 »

they are hugely gay and for people with prissy necks. i say this full of confidence that the lord will strike me down and snap my own neck like a dry twig.

if they worked they would be 10 times more useful and popular in the mx world, yet a good 70% of people in mx dont wear them as they think they are shite.
craigevans
WRC member
Master

Respect: +10/-2

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 09, 19:28 »

ive worn my mates and it restricted my head movement quite alot and i struggled to ride that mite just be me tho
ajp
Master

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 09, 09:55 »

Agreed, they are a fashion accessory.  Aside from the fact that the only evedence that they work is anecdotal most people don't even fit them correctly.  You would have thought that if you were going to value your neck that highly you would at least read the instructions on how to fit them.  I don't think I've ever seen one fitted correctly.  Which means they'll do more damage then good.  They might even do more damage fitted correctly.

Sometime soon someone will hurt themselves really badly waring one.

No there are no records.

I think they look cool though ::)
tracknicholas
Press!
Master

Referrals:

I'm a slave to gravity!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 09, 13:53 »

oh yes mate. they look sick as feck!

ajp
Master

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 09, 15:01 »

that is actually me with mone on ???
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Respect: +112/-14

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 09, 16:01 »

This is a highly emotive subject which everyone has their own opinion on and that is unlikely to change.

There's no doubt that a neck injury is horrific and the thought of paralysis is terrible. I would not wish it on anyone and if wearing a brace saves one person from injury then great.

However, it's arguably worse to be wearing protective gear that doesn't do the job but think you are protected (and maybe take bigger risks?) than wear non and possibly take less risks. Since no crash is the same as the last, to me escaping injury is not positive proof of function.

In my opinion, life is risky and calculated risk is fun, beating the odds (either by bottle and luck or skill) even more so. What protection can do is bring confidence and could encourage bigger risks than the protection can actually protect against....

You're probably still more likely to get whiplash getting rear ended at the traffic lights.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 09, 16:38 by Phil » Logged

ajp
Master

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 09, 16:27 »

That is my major issue.  People actually beleive that a)suddenly the risk of neck injury is so much greater since the neck braces conception b)it gives you carte blanch to do whatever you want with virtually no risk of neck braking action.  Its funny in some ways but extremely worrying in others.  No independent standard to reach all the neck braces claiming to do a different things as different neck injuries are of interst to them (more like patent protection).  Then the neck brace posse act all holier than thou cos they've more or less been duped into buying a useless necklace.

I'll stick to my lucky rabbits foot thank you.
Tommi HXH
Expert

Respect: +8/-2

Referrals:

How exactly did I manage THAT?

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 09, 23:16 »

The issue here I feel is the weight of helmets in collision, F1 and Nascar drivers have long used a device called the HANS system which prevents the skull becoming detached from the spine in a high velocity crash. From what I've seen of the braces on offer to riders they seem to be there to steady the neck but, and here is where it gets loosely science-ish, the rider then risks the inertia of their helmet in a crash causing strain on the neck, nerve and everything else held down by the brace. As helmets in cycling are lighter than even MX compatriots there is less likelihood of the injuries that the HANS system prevents and no need for much in the way of neck support.

I for one would rather have full movement of my neck while riding and less 'inflated superman' feeling, as falling off/crashing at the (slow and low) speeds and heights I do has given me a sore neck in the past but I have had no lasting damage (even when hit by a car which left me with 2 broken legs, wearing no helmet). I am sure that there may be scientific proof of the benefits of wearing a brace but, I would rather have an ambulance crew have access to that area in the occurence of a nasty accident rather than being faced with a 'protective item' that may damage me further if removed or left on.

... but of course at the time I was very drunk!
tracknicholas
Press!
Master

Referrals:

I'm a slave to gravity!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 09, 22:30 »

as phil has said, and as my shattered knee cap through a set of knee pads shows me... nothing can protect you from the wrong crash.

sometimes you will just be unlucky.
ajp
Master

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 09, 09:31 »

Plus everyone who wears one for dh gets all shirty when you point out there is no evedence for them you might say... "the lady doth protest too much" when they start with there pro neck brace rhetoric.  Quite funny to bait them though.
Phil
Administrator
Elite

Respect: +112/-14

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 10, 16:12 »

This guy is pretty sensible to be wearing his neck brace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1yEsbEML1Y

tracknicholas
Press!
Master

Referrals:

I'm a slave to gravity!

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 10, 16:42 »

grim mankini link! i knew it was that even before i clicked it! phil get off mx trax!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Get a free giffgaff Sim