home
RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 9 - 1 / 45
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bad news  (Read 4344 times)
jimbo C
WRC member
Expert

Respect: +13/-6

Referrals:

zesty mofo

View Profile WWW Email
« on: 18 Jan 11, 20:17 »

Was in the woods today, got talking to a guy who at first i believed was forestry however he wasnt he was a contractor he was marking all the trees to be felled. Quizzed him a bit according to him all the coniferous woodland between jump track up to to water fall (iron ore). He reckons they will be getting machinery in wherever they can however a lot of the hill is too steep so this will be done with chainsaw.

So it seems more or less all tracks will be affected. Only good news i could think of was that all logs will be removed and anything they do leave behind can be no longer than 2 metres in length so shud be easy enough to shift.
chris.
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +56/-18

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 11, 18:36 »

Its relatively old news, Chris Bray had always hinted at it.
Bad news is the log legnth they will leave is 2 meters but the branches (brash) will be full legnth and will have been run over by a forwarder so is impossible to shift without a chainsaw.
The brash will be piled for the forwarder to drive on in places- obviously the tracks being low points are a prime spot for it.

Intrested to see who's got the contract if you knew?
I presume its a thinnings and not a clearfell so if a lot of it is chainsaw felled it will either be a very small forwarder or a skidder extracting timber.
Skidder is unlikely in Wharny as its not that steep at all but if they won't put a harvester onto the steep bits they probably won't use a forwarder.

Is it owt to do with the SWT project to raise money for Greno?
Must be a partnership between FC and SWT so its a possibility.
Could be worth contacting them and see what can be done with the tracks.

I'm currently working on a contract which is much steeper ground using a clearfell harvester which is the biggest machine you'l get in UK forestry wether its contract or FC.
I am felling the trees too big for this machine with a chainsaw and having to fell them avoiding a crappy footpath that nobody uses.
Obviously all the weight is towards the path as trees grow towards light.
If somebody can wangle it to make so much work avoiding that path I'm sure it could be sorted to save at least some stuff in Wharncliffe.

Off the top of my head Nemba, LMS, Red Dot and No Human dont have anything really worth more than chip so they probably wont bother much with that as its not going to be commercially viable to pay cutters in stuff like that.

Wish I could take the contract and do it nicely!

At least the TPT runs through aswell so they shouldn't be running the forwarder along the road.
Also the risk of windblow will be high in there so they shouldn't want to open up huge holes through the wood as it will ruin the rest of the standing timber.
Annnnnd the craggs and surrounding area are a sssi which gives them huge protection, the proximity of the woods will be considered in that aswell...

Greno's due thinnings aswell so it could be a bit hard on Sheffields riding spots this year but it shouldn't be anything that can't be repaired unless they're feeling like girls parts and want to finish the place off- unlikely given the amount of support from riders in Wharncliffe over the last few years.
They know what would happen so hopefully they aren't that stupid.......

If you know whos got the contract let me know, its a very small industry so somebody is bound to know them up here.
It sounds like its a standing sale so FC won't be too heavily involved in that case just managing the site and the contract terms, the contractor could turn out to be quite sympathetic.

I'm happy to help you out speaking to Chris B and Albin etc. if you need it, at least I have a pretty good view from both sides so I can make a fairly balanced argument.

Again off the top of my head, I doubt they will run the machines on the road so landrover track would be a good bet for heavy use and the forwarder track towards the bottom of fast track runs the legnth of the wood.
Most other places shouldn't get run across more than once I wouldn't imagine and it could be easily planned to make the other runs away from the tracks.
It could be done without too much effect if they're willing to work with you.

jimbo C
WRC member
Expert

Respect: +13/-6

Referrals:

zesty mofo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 11, 22:18 »

Hey up chris. Cant remember who he worked for it said so on his fleece but cant remember. Would be good if we could do something to minimise damage to the tracks as there has been a lot of work been put in over the last few years and the woods are busier than ever.

The contractor did say it was thinning and not just felling which is suppose is good news.

It would be good if we could find out exactly what is going on. If anyone has chris brays email adress i would be happy to contact him.
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Respect: +33/-14

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 11, 10:17 »

Thats pretty much the whole of the DH area, as defined by the FE a couple of years ago.  The trees have been marked though for a few years for thinning.

I'll drop Chris a line, although I did a few weeks back and got no reply,  Jim I'll send his details, maybe get Henry from Ride Sheffield to give him a ring too.

Just another thought, I wonder if they have finally had enough of all the building and this is good cover to remove some access to tracks...
Cheers.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 11, 10:21 by simonm » Logged
chris.
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 11, 19:40 »

Silvatech or UPM/ Tillhill?
Likelyhood is it'd be one of them two, my money would me on Silvatech being FC land (UPM are effectively a private FC and as such kinda a rival although they do work together sometimes).

Try and see whats marked up, if its the stuff outlined years ago it weren't too drastic, maybe 15% of the trees tops.
Mostly going to be the edge trees though as they will have been the quickest growing, obviously the tracks largely sit in the gaps so that isn't great news for them but I doubt much will come out as I said around Peatys- No Human as its quite dense and not ideal for thinning plus not that gooder trees.
Fast track has the path (Stockarth Gap or summat) which will no doubt have to be looked after down to the power line and obviously the top is just little birch that won't get touched.
Above the powerline on fast track and jump run would both be good bets for bigger scale stuff and then the same out to the little road at the bottom of jump run.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it to be honest other than the fact the woods will be a no go for a while I can't think of anywhere likely to get properly trashed.
Wouldn't be particularly viable in a lot of the wood for the sake of thinnings.

All FC emails are firstname.surname@forestry.gsi.gov.uk and all available online so nice and easy if you know who your wanting to speak to by name.

SV500
Expert

Respect: +10/-1

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 11, 00:08 »

I know there was the rumour that all non indigenous (ie: fir tree's) were to be removed from the forest,and replaced by "native" tree's,
It was in one of the local papers quite sometime ago,

Lets hope the work is not as bad as it sounds  :o

JJ..

aint no speed limt where im comin from . . lets hit the highway doing 69
simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 11, 15:02 »

thats the plan JJ.. then add some non indigenous animals like fury cows...
ajp
Master

Respect: +10/-4

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 11, 14:08 »

i like felled timber. makes riding more challenging.
chris.
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 11, 20:31 »

We had a guy ski over our timber stacks just before Xmas, must spoil their day even more!

simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 11, 11:26 »

nada from FE.. as usual, don't give a toss about contacting us.. mind you, I guess there all a little concerned about the sell off of FE forests and what the future holds for them...

Wonder if Wharncliffe will be in the for sale list ?  I guess places like Dalby, GT, Sherwood will be formed into some sort of commercial organisation ?
chris.
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 11, 17:38 »

They suggested it up here last year, 70% of the scottish land was marked for long term lease.
Everyone got scared and kicked up a fuss and nowt came of it.
It seems quite a popular money saving idea when the government have revues, so far its never happened and going by the coverage its getting this time I'd be very suprised if it went ahead.

IF it did New Forest and FOD are the 2 suggestions going about for trials.
Sherwood is the only district in the whole FC that is cash neutral so if FC England is to continue that would be a good one to keep really.

They had a big push buying un forested land towards the end of last financial year to plant, would be stupid selling most of that cos no private company will pay much for un esatblished areas.

simonm
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 11, 21:22 »

Hi,
     mowed out at present with various bits and bobs and we aren't sure whether we will have jobs in the near future. in terms of the dh stuff, the hillside has been felled a number of times and the trails have re-appeared quickly. not sure also on the long term presence of a formal trail up there, in the present political climate everything may change.
Perhaps Singletraction could instigate a demo (not that I'm advocating civil disobedience)

In terms of the felling ops signs will go up and should be included in the risk assessment ofr the job that the area is used by cyclists and walker.

The next few months may bring a bit more clarity on where we are at. in the mean time hassle your mp

Chris Bray Msc CRM MILAM
Forest Recreation Manager

ajp
Master

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 11, 18:42 »

tillhill are doing it had a look at the forestry operations sign and it deffinately said tillhill
ajp
Master

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 11, 18:54 »

don't they own llandegla?
chris.
WRC member
Elite

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 11, 21:09 »

Tillhill own loads of land and do a lot of contract work.
Also work under the name UPM.

Sounds like a bit of a cop out from Chris Bray?
Not like they'll be sacked they're proceted buy TUPE regs so its a weak excuse for essentially telling you to leave him alone.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Get a free giffgaff Sim