home
RSS home|galleries|calendar|racing|riding|workshop|scene|forum

:: What's new? ...
:: Gallery Image ...
 Random Image...
Gallery 89 - 14 / 19
:: Search the site ...
Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is it possible to bend a rim beyond repair? - I'd like to know  (Read 1705 times)
Biscuit Fuelled
Elite

Respect: +15/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« on: 14 Jan 02, 21:38 »

A little nerk that borrowed my bike buckled the back wheel badly, and I've since had it repaired. However, it always seems to have some loose spokes. I'd quite like to know if I'm gonna be forever blighted by a dodgy wheel, or if there's something I can do.

Phil
Administrator
Elite

Respect: +112/-14

Referrals:

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 02, 23:44 »

Aye!  Quite possible....

Long Answer -
There are a few things to consider on a wheel, but basically if you buckle a well built wheel, it is because something 'gave'.

All the components are metal, which has an elastic limit (same as any solid material - and some liquids but we won't go into that here).  If you exceed the elastic limit of the part, it is permanently distorted.

While you can pull a rim back into true by tensioning the spokes, a bent rim will have different tension in each spoke.  A well built wheel has equal tension in each spoke and it is this tension that keeps it true...

Sooo, once it goes out of round, the spokes start to pull unevenly which contributes to the out of round, which makes spokes go loose and so on.

Short answer - new rim and spokes will sort you out for a few quid.  I say Mavic 521CD (I like black!) and a set of DT butted spokes.  35 - 40 should do it if you get bored of tweaking your nipples...

Biscuit Fuelled
Elite

Respect: +15/-0

Referrals:

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 02, 22:24 »

As much as I do enjoy tweaking my nipples (sick, I know), I thought that would be the case. But as I'm buyin a BigHit, I have precisely 0.00 to spend on the old hartail. So, I guess I'll just have to loosen off the brakes, and get back to my fondling the spokes. Ach Well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Home Help Search Arcade Login Register
Get a free giffgaff Sim